Style Breakdown : Why We'll Never Get Over Carrie Bradshaw's Style

I've started a new style series on the blog : Style Breakdown. In this series, I'll be featuring and breaking down the style of several fashion girls whose styles I really admire. I can't tell you how much time I spend on Pinterest and Instagram style stalking these people and I figured, I might as well write it all down so we can all get inspired and take notes!

Style Breakdown : Why We'll Never Get Over Carrie Bradshaw's Style
sex.and.the.city


 The first feature I want to do is on Carrie Bradshaw, from the popular show Sex and The City. Yes, I know she's a fictional character but we can't deny that her character's style and fashion influence is still alive. I mean, obviously, I wouldn't say her style suits everyone's taste but I think we can all agree that she has  unique ways of putting outfits together and is bold enough to wear whatever she wants whenever and wherever. So what if all she's doing that day is running to a newsstand just to get a copy of Vogue and some cigarettes? It does't mean she's going to wear a hoodie and sweatpants. And brunch with the girls? Totally elevated with a fabulous looking outfit! Her short weekend trips with a boyfriend or besties? She goes all out and puts on her best jet set 5 star look. Whether or not you would wear some or even any of her outfits, you can't help but feel inspired to have that much gusto to dress up. I know I am! I wouldn't wear everything she wears either but I love the drive and the thrill of being able to dress up and put outfits together - and not have to wait for an occasion to do so! It's an attitude and lifestyle and I am all for it! At the end of the day, you are dressing for yourself and no one else and that makes it even more special! I think Carrie Bradshaw perfectly embodies this thought and mindset. I also think her and the show  have woken up so, so many to acquire a taste and passion for fashion.

Style Breakdown : Why We'll Never Get Over Carrie Bradshaw's Style
carriebradshaw_sexandthecity


Style Breakdown : Why We'll Never Get Over Carrie Bradshaw's Style
everyoutfitonsatc


So many have been influenced by Carrie Bradshaw and I wouldn't be wrong in saying that to this day we still keep going back and stalking her style. If you guys need proof that people are still not over her style, check out The Man Repeller and B Jones Style - two very credible fashion bloggers who time and time again still keep referencing Miss Bradshaw's style (click on the link on their names to see how!). Other known fashion publications and websites like Marie Claire, Refinery 29, InStyle and Cosmopolitan also keep talking about her style. Check out #carriebradshaw on Instagram, it will come up with three hundred thousand plus, plus tags and also the Sex and The City Hashtag will render a MILLION tags. That's proof enough that people still keep going back to stalking this one fictional character from a hit show. And the show ended in 2003! That's almost 20 years ago! That's  a mighty huge influence I would say. Carrie lives on and is here to stay.

So I have an ongoing Pinterest board on Carrie Bradshaw's style , if you're not following me on Pinterest yet, go ahead and check it out - there are lots of fashion boards on there if any of you are interested. If however you want to skip all that, click HERE to take you directly to the board that's specifically all Carrie Bradshaw! I've been pinning a lot of her looks throughout the Sex and The City seasons and movies. I also thought I'd break down her style by writing below several points on her style and why we can all never get over it!


Accessories

If there was a PhD given out to people who have a way with accessories, then no doubt Carrie would have "doctor" next to her name by now! She started the whole trend of rose corsages, nameplate necklaces, brooches and wearing scarves in different ways such as tying in her arm or wearing as a bandanna in her head. She also wears them in super over the top ways but still make it work for everyday dressing. For example, in one episode she wore rows upon rows of pearl necklaces. She paired it with just a simple tank top and I think that's what made it work, there was a great balance of too much and basic.

THE SHOES

Style Breakdown : Why We'll Never Get Over Carrie Bradshaw's Style
carriebradshaw_sexandthecity


She literally has a shoe collection (and taste!) that's TDF and they always seem to go perfectly well with whatever she's wearing. There are some instances where I actually  remember episodes based on the shoes she was wearing. In fact I have written a blog post musing about the golden era on shoes and its largely related to Carrie Bradshaw and the Sex and the City era.

Style Breakdown : Why We'll Never Get Over Carrie Bradshaw's Style
bestofsexandthecity

Her outfit combinations

Carrie can wear five different colors in one outfit and still make it work. I think she was also the original print on print mix master. I also love how she wears shoes that pick up on the color of her dresses. Or how some shoes just add the right pop of pink to say an outfit that's mostly black and gray.

Style Breakdown : Why We'll Never Get Over Carrie Bradshaw's Style
carriebradshaw_sexandthecity


Her attitude to clothes and dressing up

Remember her silver Manolo Blahnik Peeptoe d'orsay heels? To this day those shoes remain to be one of my favorites from the series and I love how it blended seamlessly with both dressy and casual outfits. She wore them to a baby shower with a colorful pink and green combination and later on with a blouse and trousers look. She has a knack for working in fancy looking shoes into any outfit and making them okay to wear during the daytime. It inspired me to wear fancier looking shoes with jeans and out in everyday situations! This goes back to me always mentioning in this blog that you really do not have to wait for special occasions to dress up and wear fancy shoes. Carrie proves that you can wear them in any situation and I love how she lives that life of  not caring where her outfits take her. She is the ultimate poster girl for dressing for yourself. And not for anybody and for any occasion!

What do you guys think of Carrie Bradshaw's style? Are you also still not over it as I am? Comment below your favorite outfit and SATC episode!

Comments

  1. Carrie is such a spirit to admire! Great sense of fashion without a doubt!

    Jil | https://www.letsjiloutdoor.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely a style that I can relate to now that I'm retired. It's fun and sassy and shows so much personality.
    XOXO
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment