My 2020 Style Goals

Every New Year we all make goals that we want to accomplish and I do exactly that and honestly kind of really fail almost every year. So that means, for 2020, there will be no new goals and the ones I will be working on will probably be the same as the past few New Years.  Haha. This year, I decided to instead make a style goals list and put it down here on the blog so it's like I am setting it in stone and I have something to get back to to hold me accountable in accomplishing them. I know January is almost over but then I belatedly realized as I was finalizing this blog post that it's actually the Lunar New Year today! So yay, this post could not have had more perfect timing. 

So a Happy Lunar/Chinese New Year to those celebrating! 

And here are are my style goals of 2020:

1. Trousers 

I have been coveting so many trousers and I realized that is is so hard to find nice ones. I always go back to jeans or plain black pants. I'm definitely on a mission to scour for them. I think trousers are so chic especially when worn with heels or a nice top. It makes everything look so polished. Some of my must finds are nice cropped trousers, paper bag trousers and wide legged trousers. And all in different colors besides black and navy. 

2. More tropical friendly clothes 

I live in the Philippines which is hot and humid all year round. Yep, we never ever have options for winter fashions here! It sometimes gets too hot even for fussy, super "fashion" looking clothes. Clothes that have heavy material and too much going on are also a no no.Which is really sad because since I like fashion, I'd love to wear nice structured blouses or pieces in other material besides cotton, but they really end up making me feel so uncomfortable and sticky. Therefore, I would like to challenge myself to always dress coolly but still in style. I.e. I don't want to have to resort to lazy dressing just because of the weather. 

3. Sustainability - thrift and vintage 

I love vintage and thrifted finds but I find that I don't do this very often. I'd go on and off thrifting like once or twice a year but I realized I always buy and consume a LOT more fast fashion. Which, as everyone probably knows is really bad for the environment.This year, I'd like to commit myself to really limiting my consumption of mass produced clothes from high street retailers and buying more clothes from sustainable brands, thrift and vintage stores. I also want to do less shopping  in general and look through my closet and challenge myself in coming up with more outfits based on the items that I already have. A few years ago I also found a lot of clothes from my late grandmother's closet and I think I will incorporate them more into my wardrobe this year - I need to wear more often! I found some truly good stuff!


Dresses from my grandmother's closet, these are probably from the 60s or 70s!

4. Take advantage of accessories collection more 

Throughout the years I have accumulated a lot of really nice accessories that are a mix of vintage and local handicrafts and I feel like I don't use them enough! I am definitely going to be incorporating them to my outfits a lot more this year and maximizing their use. I most especially love wearing  brooches and  am so looking forward to have little brooch parties in my outfits! I even have plans to come out with a post on several ways and ideas you can wear brooches so please keep an eye out for that!




5. Have go to formulas for uninspiring days

I think it's important to have go-to formulas of outfits that's in line with your style that is not sloppy and thoughtless. Ever wonder why Kate Middleton always looks flawless? I once read an article about how she has preferences for similar styles and cuts of dresses and I think that's because she's discovered her own formula and  she knows it works well with her body type and her sense of style. There are 365 days in a year - imagine the burden we all have in thinking of fresh new outfits every single day. It's pretty tiring and also induces us to resort to lazy boring outfits. Therefore, there should be a fail-proof formula in your wardrobe that meshes well with your sense of style and your body type. Mine is usually a white t-shirt, jeans and fabulous shoes and earrings/other accessories. I feel like I need more formulas that go well with my style and body type so this year is the year I'm determined to find more!

6. Wear other colors besides black and white

For as long as I can remember, I have always been into black and white clothing. I'm not a huge fan of super colorful clothes and also printed ones. Other colors I like wearing are dark navy, grays and neutrals but this year I want to incorporate more colors like green, lighter blues and yellows. Still want to experiment if I want to wear any pinks and purples as those are colors I don't really ever wear. I also want to discover more prints that I can stand and incorporate into my wardrobe. So for this year, my style goal is to basically have more variety in my closet.

7. Move on if fashion item is not my shape

As a style and fashion lover, there are sooo many pieces of clothing I want to wear. Poofy sleeves! Brocade skirts! Leather trousers! But unfortunately, a lot of the styles and material of clothing just does not go with my body shape so I need to move on. As much as possible, I really try to stick to clothes that fit well but sometimes there are some styles that I absolutely love and end up buying because I covet them. They just end up hanging in my closet for a year unworn because every time I style them in an outfit, I always feel like something looks and feels off. I think it has everything to do with the fit. So next time I see nice outfits on skinnier models or people with different body types, I need to evaluate first if it will look good on me and if not then I should move on. Going back to Kate Middleton - I think that's why she looks flawless. It's because she pays attention to her body type and wears clothes that flatter her. So the fit of clothes really have a HUGE impact on your style and outfit.

What are your style goals for 2020? I'd love to hear them! Comment down below!




*** Shoes from my shoe line are unfortunately only  available
 for shipping in the Philippines.

Comments